DagDok - your guide to the UN documentation
DagDok is a guide to the UN documentation by the Dag Hammarskjöld and Law library, Uppsala University. Its purpose is to help you find UN reports and documents as well as background information about the UN organization as well as areas of UN activity.
Nobel Peace Prize 2020 to the World Food Programme.
On October 9, 2020 the World Food Programme was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Announcement by the Nobel Committee: https://www.nobelprize.org/
Secretary-General’s statement on the awarding of the 2020 Nobel Prize for Peace to the World Food Programme: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/statement/2020-10-09/secretary-general%E2%80%99s-statement-the-awarding-of-the-2020-nobel-prize-for-peace-the-world-food-programme
Executive Director of WFP’s statement: https://www.wfp.org/news/world-food-programme-awarded-nobel-peace-prize-statement-wfp-executive-director-david-beasley
UN News Centre story (multiple languages): https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/10/1075012
All the information and promotional materials found on the websites listed above has been provided by the United Nations and the Dag Hammarskjöld Library and are free to use. Always state source!
United Nations and the Nobels Peace Prize
October 9, 2020
We congratulate United Nations World Food Programme that was awarded the Nobel peace prize 2020, “for its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict”
The priority of the World Food Programme is the Sustainable Development Goal 2 – Zero Hunger – pledges to end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
WFP - Press Briefing: Nobel Peace Prize Win (Geneva, 9 October 2020)
UN Nobel Peace Prize laureates through the years
UN News Centre
- ‘Complex’ emergency unfolding in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado, warn UN agencies 2021-01-20
- Over 1.9 billion people in Asia-Pacific unable to afford a healthy diet: UN report 2021-01-20
- East African countries better prepared, but desert locust threat ‘not over’ 2021-01-19
- ‘Swift action’ needed in Tigray to save thousands at risk, UNHCR warns 2021-01-19
- Independent panel finds critical early failings in COVID-19 response 2021-01-19
UNRIC Info Point and Library
- UN refugee agency calls for ‘new chapter for refugee protection’ across Europe 2021-01-12
- UN human rights expert ‘cautiously’ welcomes UK court’s refusal to extradite Julian Assange 2021-01-06
- FROM THE FIELD: Weathering a tourist downturn in Kyrgyzstan 2021-01-05
- Netherlands violates nationality rights: UN rights committee 2020-12-29
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Migrant lives at ‘immediate risk’, warn UN agencies 2020-12-28